Wednesday, May 15, 2013

catching up

So I definitely haven't posted in over a month...which means I've been incredibly busy! Here are some things I cooked last month and I'll have another post up soon!

This tempeh cacciatore was pretty amazing! I don't think I ever ate chicken cacciatore when I wasn't vegetarian, but the flavors here were great! You cook the tempeh in a mixture of red wine, tamari, and Italian herbs along with a ton of vegetables and olives. This recipe can't be found in a cookbook or on a website, so if you would like the recipe, just leave a comment with your e-mail address!

I finally got an ice-cream maker! I can't wait to use it. I think I will do peach ice cream first. Have you ever made ice-cream at home?

New found love: boba tea

Birthday pizza for Mike. I made my absolute favorite: kale, red onion + pistachio with a homemade crust and lots of garlic.

This tofu chili has been on my to-make list for quite a while now. I finally made it and it's incredibly easy, cheap, and delicious! It has a ton of protein from tofu and beans, and extra delicious topped with hot sauce, corn chips and vegan cheese. I highly recommend it and I'm sure it even freezes well! //whole foods market

I made one of my favorite cakes for Mike's birthday: a pina colada cake with pineapple, dark rum and cream of coconut. It's actually pretty simple to make and so delicious! The pineapple rum glaze was amazing. I substituted: 1 C sorghum flour, 1 C tapioca starch, 2 tsp xanthan gum, and earth balance vegan butter sticks. //smitten kitchen

This lovely colorful little salad is full of green onions, mangoes, black beans and red pepper! This would be great as an easy summertime meal or for a picnic/work lunch. The recipe is very straightforward, simple, and takes less than 10 minutes if you have leftover cooked quinoa. There's something really great about eating this salad because of the sweet bites from mangoes! //veganomicon

New bar tools: swizzle spoon, measuring shot glass, and perfect ice cube trays. 
Drink pictured: 1.5 shots dark rum over ice topped off with ginger beer and a lime wedge.

I have been craving donuts for quite some time now, so I made these incredible baked banana donuts with a coffee glaze. The process of making these donuts is different, but still easy. You use thawed (previously frozen) mashed banana, vegan sour cream, bourbon, etc. I would like to try the PB glaze next time. I subbed: 1/2 C sorghum flour, 1/2 C tapioca starch, 1/4 C almond flour + vegan sour cream. These would be amazing with coffee! //vanilla bean blog

This is now easily one of my favorite pasta dishes: pasta al pomodoro. Using cherry tomatoes, you cook them down until they release their juices along with garlic and Italian herbs. No heavy cream or butter needed; the leftover pasta water will thicken the sauce for you as it boils away. I can't express how easy, filling, and satisfying this pasta was. Alongside gluten-free vegan garlic bread, I was in heaven. //eat this poem

Gin and tonics

Once again, I learned that Daiya's faux cheese wedge makes me incredibly ill. I am just going to have to deal with that one. When I made pizza for Mike's birthday, I used vegan gourmet's mozzarella block which worked just fine and tasted/melted wonderfully! I later made these sinful buffalo tempeh kale grilled vegan mozzarella sandwiches. This would obviously be better if you can have regular cheese, but vegan still did the trick! I served these with oven fries and it was amazing/filling! //vegan yack attack

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)