Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cure-All Miso Soup

There are two things I always do when I feel a cold coming on: I make a big pot of this tea with honey and lemon juice, and I always want soup. I'm trying to cut my ties with restaurants and processed foods as much as possible, but mustering up the strength to cook when you're sick isn't the easiest thing. 

But I wanted miso soup, so badly. So I decided to just get over it and make my own. I used a recipe from one of my favorite cookbook authors of all time, and tweaked it to my liking/what I had in my pantry. This soup is incredibly easy and gives you time to rest in between steps. Make sure you use GF miso paste and GF soba noodles (I will link both of the products I used below). This soup is so nourishing, healthy, and after two gigantic bowls, I can say I feel completely better. This soup is also great for when you're sick, and takes all of 15-20 minutes.




Cure-All Miso Soup
(serves 1; adapted from Heidi's recipe)
  • 3 oz. of GF soba noodles (I used these)
  • 2 C water
  • 2 T GF white or yellow miso paste (I use this brand)
  • salt
  • 1/2 box of Mori-Nu extra-firm tofu (vaccum packed), cubed
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 small chunk of fresh ginger, peeled + minced
  • large handful of kale, torn (or spinach)
  • red pepper flakes
  • sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
  1. Cook soba noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place in your soba bowl.
  2. Bring water to a boil. Once boiling, bring to a simmer. Place some of the water in another small bowl, and mix in miso paste, until no lumps remain. Mix this back into the simmering water, and taste for salt. 
  3. Add tofu, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes to the pot. Heat just for a minute or two. 
  4. Pour the miso broth over your noodles. 
  5. Top with kale and stir to help steam the greens. Top with green onions, if desired. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! :)