Saturday, November 2, 2013

October Favorites

Hey all! It's November (where the hell did time go?!). Here are some October favorites:


1. Vegetable Pot Pie Stew + Mini GF Biscuits 
This stew is from the Happy Herbivore meal plan and I just love it! There's no chopping involved, but the meal is so comforting and delicious. It thickens as it sits, which makes it all the better. I made some GF mini biscuits to dip into the soup//Happy Herbivore

2. Slow-Cooker Peach Blueberry Oatmeal 
Another meal plan recipe! This seriously tastes like peach blueberry pie. I will have to make it when these fruits are in season, but oh man was it good. And there's nothing better than waking up to oatmeal in your slow-cooker.

3. Blueberry Chai Oatmeal 
This is yet another meal plan recipe, but I have to share it. It's too good. Steep a chai teabag in 3/4 C of hot water for 5 mins. Remove bag, put water in a saucepan and boil. When boiling, add 1/2 C GF rolled oats, 1/4 C frozen blueberries (if fresh, add at the end), a dash of cardamom and 1 tsp of cinnamon. Mix and cook until cooked to your desired consistency. At the end, stir in about a TBS or more of maple syrup. This is the best!!

4. Chipotle Cakes with Lime Crema 
Oh, man. Chipotle chilis in adobo sauce: where have you been all of my life? They seriously bring the right amount of heat and taste better than artificially flavored chipotle stuff. I can't find the recipe for this, but if anyone wants it, leave a comment below! These cakes come together quickly and are topped with a cooling lime chipotle vegan crema.

5. Chai Snickerdoodles
Two of the best things combined: chai and snickerdoodles. I used all brown rice flour here and only 1 tsp of xanthan gum. These cookies will go fast, so be careful! The spices are so perfect and smell exactly like chai//The PPK
6. Brooklyn Style Home Fries (with decadent eggs)
I'm always trying to step up my brunch game, and these home fries are it. They are definitely a labor a love, but well worth it. The potatoes are boiled, then pan fried in canola until golden, along with green peppers and onions. Oh man, these were great. And I highly recommend Isa's book in general. I made some "decadent" eggs to along with them, but a tofu scramble is a great vegan alternative!//Vegan Brunch

7. Miso Soup with Tofu + Kale
This soup is awesome, easy, and great for when you're sick (which I've been dealing with a lot here lately). Nourishing kale meets delicious tofu, amazing sweet potato noodles, and lots of spices. You will be amazed at how easy miso soup really is.//here!

 8. Chunky Celery Soup with Celery Leaf Pesto
Mike and I have both been sick for a couple of weeks now, so when I had energy, I made us soup every night. This one is a keeper. It's dead simple, delicious, nourishing, and all topped with a pesto made from celery leaves. I know, I know. What does it even taste like? It makes a delightful, garlicky pesto that compliments this soup in the best way. I promise it's worth the 30 seconds it takes to pull together!//101 Cookbooks

 9. Thai Hummus-Dilla with Mango Chutney
Okay, so I've been kind of harassed to share this recipe. I made it specifically to serve alongside this soup (which is fabulous), which is why it's Indian/Thai flavored. Here we go:
Preheat a decent sized pan to medium high. Get a brown rice tortilla (soften in microwave if frozen). Spread a generous amount of Thai coconut curry hummus on one side. Add a couple of chopped green onions. Drizzle some spicy mango chutney on top of the hummus and onions (use as much as you can handle!). Fold the dilla over to close. You can use coconut/olive oil to fry this if you're worried about fat, but I generously spread earth balance vegan butter on one side, then put that in the pan (butter side down) to create a DELICIOUS crispy/charred thing going on. Add a little more oil/butter on the side thats up, then flip until crispy/charred. You're welcome.

10. Turmeric Tea
I totally just realized I've been leaving an 'r' out of turmeric for years. Well, damn. Anyways, this is a great anti-inflammatory remedy that's easy to make. It's essentially a paste of turmeric and raw honey, which you mix with hot water, lemon and black pepper. I have been fighting something awful for a week or more now, and this tea seemed to help a lot. You can keep the paste in a jar on the counter, so it's very handy!//101 Cookbooks

5 comments:

Thank you for your comments! :)