Monday, December 30, 2013

December Favorites

It amazes me that December will be over tomorrow! And it scares me that school will be back in two weeks. This will possibly be my hardest semester yet, since I am taking 5 classes, and one of them goes until 6:30 PM. That being said, I am trying a new method of planning a month of recipes instead of by the week, to cut down on time I spend during the semester planning meals. We'll see how it works out! Next month I am cooking from: Appetite for ReductionOne Dish VeganThe Great Vegan Bean BookFresh From the Vegan Slow-Cooker, and 101 Cookbooks Blog. Stay tuned for tomorrow when I post my Top 13 recipes from 2013!

1. Quinoa Caesar Salad with Chickpeas + Super Briny Dressing
It's funny how many things I never dreamed of eating when I wasn't mostly vegan. The thought of a caesar salad was enough to make me gag. But now, I daydream about a vegan caesar dressing made with briny capers, mustard served over crunchy cold lettuce. This dressing is amazing, but incredibly garlicky. Like vampire-slaying-worthy-garlicky. But I seriously can't recommend it enough. This comes from Isa's latest book (aka my bible), but the recipe can be found here.


2. Tofu, Kale + Red Rice Bowl with Curried Peanut Sauce
What was my life before peanut sauce? Or more importantly, before this peanut sauce with curry powder? Nothing. That's what it was. This sauce is the star of this amazingly easy dish that comes together in 30 minutes or less. //Isa Does It

3. GF Tagliatelle with Slurpy Spicy Spaghetti Sauce
Okay, so I'm obviously a little obsessed with Isa's new book, but this spicy slurpy spaghetti sauce is stupidly easy and delicious. You caramelize the onions in a little brown sugar, then add lots of red pepper flakes, which creates the most perfect sauce. We tried these GF egg noodles, which were incredible, but definitely only for special occasions because they're not cheap. //Isa Does It


4. Wonder Fries with Miso-Mayo (side of Bourbon Pumpkin Spice Apple Toddy)
If you take anything away from this post, read this: make these fries as soon as possible. I can't even explain how delicious these were. They take a little effort, but believe me, they are worth every penny and second you spend on them. The process creates the most perfect, crispy, yet fluffy fries. Oh, and the miso mayo is life-changing. Plain and simple. //Food 52

5. Breakfast Kale with Eggs Over Easy, Avocado + Hot Sauce
This has become a well-loved staple for breakfast in our house. It comes together quickly, it's nutritious and sooo flavorful. The ingredient list is short and the possibilities for additions are endless! //here! 

6. Chipotle Soyrizo + Potato Hash with Tahini-Miso Sauce 
One thing that drives me crazy (in a good way) about Isa's recipes, is every time I try a new one, I always claim its "her best recipe yet". But I say this about every single thing I've made from her...but this, might take the cake. Miso apparently makes every sauce instantly incredible, so don't skip it. The potatoes don't need to be boiled beforehand, which is shocking because they get cooked so perfectly. So yes, make this as soon as possible. //Isa Does It

7. Arabian Lentil & Rice Soup
There is nothing better than a big pot of soup on a cold day. The red lentils cook down into the basmati rice, making a thick and delicious soup. The arabian spices and lemon tie this soup together in the best way possible. It also comes together quickly, with plenty of time to rest while it simmers on the stove! The recipe originally comes from this book, but I found the recipe online too: here.

8. Chickpea Piccata with Caulipots + Sweet 'n' Salty Glazed Carrots
I've never had chicken piccata before, but this chickpea piccata was incredible! We served it with cauliflower mashed potatoes and these delicious roasted carrots. The sauce is made with lots of garlic and white wine, creating a delicious meal to be served on these caulipots. I loved how fancy this meal made me feel, but it took only an hour to pull everything together! //Appetite For Reduction

9. Golabki (Polish Stuffed Cabbage)
I never thought I would ever be able to make vegan stuffed cabbage. But it was so easy and delicious! The filling is made of TVP, lentils, pecans, and other delicious and simple components. They take a little effort, but if you prep the lentils and tomato sauce in advance, these come together quickly! I was surprised at how authentic the filling tastes, despite not having any meat. //Vegan Yack Attack

10. Caramelized Cauliflower Soup with Croutons
This soup sounds complicated, but it's actually very simple. You basically roast a head of cauliflower, then make a simple broth with some garlic and other ingredients, and then blend everything together. It makes a perfect soup for a winter day, especially topped with croutons and toasted almonds. Also, don't skip the white balsamic. It truly makes this soup perfect. Plus you will put white balsamic on everything once you taste it. It's regular balsamic's lighter, less-syrupy cousin. //Sprouted Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)