Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Strawberry Vodka Smash

Mike's mom gave me some huge sprigs of mint from her garden that weren't exactly "edible", but perfect for making mint simple syrup. The great thing about this syrup is that it takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish, and it keeps 2 weeks in the fridge! I also got a new bucket of local strawberries yesterday from my parents, so I obviously put two and two together for this delicious summer cocktail! Expect to see more cocktail recipes around here now!


Strawberry Vodka Smash
makes 1 cocktail
  • 1/4 cup of (local) strawberries, tops removed and halved
  • 1/2 - 3/4 oz mint simple syrup
  • 1 oz vodka (Tito's is GF)
  • ice
  • tonic water
  • fresh mint sprigs (optional)
  1. Place strawberries in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Use a muddler, or the top of a wooden spoon (and some elbow grease), and mash berries until almost pureed. 
  2. Add mint syrup and vodka. Shake vigorously. 
  3. Fill a highball glass with ice. Pour strawberry mix over ice.
  4. Top with tonic water and optional torn fresh mint sprigs.
  5. Stir and enjoy!

Looking for delicious strawberries in the Triad area? My family has been going to Bernie's Berries for as long as I can remember and I highly recommend them. I've never had tastier strawberries in my life. Plus you can pick them yourself, if you want!

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! :)