Monday, February 1, 2016

Weekly Eats Three (1/25 - 1/31)


Overnight slow cooker oatmeal is a real life saver when you need to be up at 5:30! It takes no time at all to make - and you can easily sub in chai or Lady Grey tea! I used vanilla extract in place of the rosewater as well. This recipe yielded about 3 breakfast servings



Dinner: Tortilla Soup

The snow storm last weekend led to us raiding the pantry and fridge for an easy meal! This tortilla soup is something I've blogged about before - in fact, this picture is from last year. I love this soup because it seriously takes less than 30 minutes and it's so flavorful. Happy to report these beans were still from scratch (leftover from a large batch I made) and lasted us several snow days!



Dinner: Spicy Tofu Stew with Jasmine Rice

For Christmas, I received a very thoughtful gift - a subscription to Vegetarian Times! I'm so excited to have a thorough, vegetarian magazine to cook and adapt recipes from. I decided to make the first recipe I came across in their latest January/February issue - spicy tofu stew, which was voted one of their most popular recipes from last year. I was scared that this stew would not be super flavorful, but I was so wrong! I added a heavy dose of lemon pepper and Northwoods fire seasoning, plus a little vegan butter and more sambal. It only takes ten minutes to make this ridiculously filling and flavorful stew! Highly recommended with some jasmine rice for balance and bulk.




Snacks: Cajun Hummus

I made a batch of slow-cooker chickpeas, which went towards the last two recipes! This batch of Cajun hummus was a great snack to take to work - with corn chips, carrot sticks, or celery sticks. It's also nice to have a healthy snack to munch on while I'm home. I also found another use for breakfast - mixed with eggs for breakfast plus hot sauce. I love trying new hummus recipes, and this one is a new favorite!



Dinner: Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Potato

Looks like I've revisited a lot of old favorites lately - and this one is no exception! Another lovely 10 minute meal that is hearty, filling, and super spicy! I cooled it down with a little extra vegan butter, but if you have vegan sour cream/vegan ranch, that would also be amazing. I seriously forgot how delicious buffalo sauce is!



Breakfast: blood orange - chia - apple - banana smoothies




Overview: Admittedly, I ate out way more than I wanted to this week, so I would like to not do that this week. I'd also like to post on time this week! On a positive note, I did cook all of my beans from scratch and did not spend a lot on groceries. Plus I had snacks for work last week. I'm excited to try new recipes this week and hopefully some new snack recipes as well.

Ideas for this week: banana bread granola bars; crunchy black bean tacos; Old Bay cauliflower burgers with garlic-curry fries; tequila sunrise chili; cauliflower buffalo wings

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! :)