Monday, August 5, 2013

Rainbow Market Tofu Scramble

The farmer's market is a great place to get inspiration for the kitchen. It has somehow taken me all summer to finally get out there, but I really enjoyed it! The prices were incredibly reasonable, like most farmer's markets, and the selection was good. I have been going to this year-round market on Yanceyville Street because it's closer than the one off the highway. 

I found tomatoes, zucchini, squash, beautiful heirloom peppers, okra, german butter potatoes, cucumbers, jalapenos, russet potatoes, and even more vegetables! I always find myself ready to cook and inspired after I leave, so I decided to make a tofu scramble out of my market produce. The result was a spicy, nourishing scramble loaded with vegetables. Feel free to substitute whatever you have here, but this is what I used. This would be great served with roasted baby potatoes (which is what we did) or even quinoa. Go to your local farmers market and explore!

Rainbow Market Tofu Scramble
  • 1 (16 oz) block of extra-firm tofu, not pressed
  • olive oil
  • salt + pepper
  • 1/2-1 onion, diced
  • 2 heirloom bell peppers, thinly sliced
  • 2 tomatoes, de-seeded + diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 yellow squash, diced
  • GF soy sauce
  • any combination of herbs works but I used these: (tumeric, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, coriander, thyme, oregano, smoked paprika, etc.)
  • optional add-ins: any other vegetables you have from the market, smashed garlic cloves, greens (swiss chard or kale would be great here)
  1. Heat a large skillet over medium high. Add about 1 T oil, then the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook 3 mins then add squashes and peppers. Add all the herbs you are using. Cook for 3 mins more.
  2. Add tofu and smash until your desired consistency is reached. The water that you didn't press from the tofu will actually cook it and prevent you from having to use oil. If you're adding tumeric for color, add it only after you add the tofu. Add a splash of soy sauce to help deglaze the pan. 
  3. Cook 5 more minutes, until tofu and vegetables are cooked to your desired consistency. Then add your tomatoes, another splash of soy sauce, and salt/pepper. If you are adding greens, add them in the last 5 minutes of cooking and do not dry them. 
  4. Remove from heat and enjoy! The spices I used actually worked incredibly well together so it was very flavorful. I topped mine with hot sauce + avocado. Feel free to add whatever toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)