Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Smoky Summer Edamame Succotash

One thing I would like to start doing this semester is getting in the kitchen, once a week, and throwing a recipe together. I had my heart set on making some kind of succotash, but didn't feel like going to the store. I never have lima beans on hand, but I almost always have frozen edamame (in pod and shelled). Edamame makes a great snack, a quick lunch, or even a tasty hummus when paired with coriander. 

I also have a TON of squash, peppers, okra, etc. leftover from a trip my dad took to a local farm. I have never cooked okra before, but I didn't want to just deep fry it. This succotash may not be "traditional" by any means, but it satisfied my craving for something smoky, flavorful, and packed with vegetables. It comes together quickly and can be adjusted to fit whatever is in your fridge. This makes a great weeknight end-of-summer meal! Pair with a good glass of white wine and you'll be in Southern summer heaven.



Smoky Summer Edamame Succotash

  • 1/2 medium onion, minced
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • 1 green pepper, minced
  • 1 yellow squash, chopped
  • 1 zucchini, chopped
  • 1/2 - 3/4 C frozen organic corn, thawed*
  • 1/2 - 3/4 C frozen organic edamame, thawed*
  • cajun seasoning, paprika, smoked paprika, pepper, oregano, dried basil
  • 15-20 okra pods, tops removed + sliced
  • hot sauce
  • liquid smoke
  • juice of 2 small limes, or 1 large
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • serving options: cajun rice, quinoa, polenta rounds, cornbread, baked potatoes

  1. Preheat a large skillet on medium heat. Add the oil, then onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften (about 3 minutes). Add the green pepper, squash and zucchini. Cook until they begin to soften, about 3 more minutes.
  2. Turn the pan up to medium-high. Add the corn and edamame, stirring to combine. Then add all the spices (and more salt if needed) to coat the vegetables. You can use different spices, but these are the ones I found fitting for a succotash. Cook a few more minutes to warm the thawed vegetables and slightly brown them.
  3. Add okra, as much hot sauce as you desired (I used about 10 drops), a few drops of liquid smoke, and lime juice. Stir to combine and cook 3 more minutes. A few minutes before serving, stir in the garlic. Taste for seasonings and adjust as necessary.
  4. Serve over whatever you desire (I used quinoa with vegan butter and salt) and enjoy!

**notes: I find the easiest way to thaw frozen vegetables is to briefly run them under hot water in a colander. Feel free to use fresh corn and edamame here if they're available!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)