Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dinner on a Tray: Cauliflower, Tomatoes + Tofu

I almost went out to eat last night. Almost. I had to stop myself and remember that a) my pantry is probably stocked with more food than anyone I know b) I am trying to save for Europe c) you can't watch Buffy at a restaurant. So I pulled myself out of this rut and made myself throw something together.

Due to laziness, this was not going to be anything spectacular or involved, but it ended up being incredibly satisfying. Lemon roasted cauliflower with sweet roasted cherry tomatoes. Paired with salty, baked tofu. I am trying to get into the habit of making more "clean-out-the-fridge" dinners. Feel free to add any random vegetables you have in the fridge that need to be used. I served this with pan-fried, sliced prepared Italian polenta because it was going to expire soon. 
Also, this recipe allows you to watch plenty of Buffy while dinner roasts in the oven (always a plus). 


One Tray Tofu, Cauliflower + Tomatoes
  • 8-15 oz. extra-firm tofu, cubed (I used what I had left, which was 8 oz)
  • 2 T soy sauce*
  • 1 tsp rice vinegar*
  • pepper
  • juice of 1 lemon 
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets (or 1 head)
  • a handful of cherry tomatoes, halved (or more)
  • garlic powder or whole garlic cloves
  • salt
  • oregano

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Make sure that it's big enough to fit how much tofu and cauliflower you're roasting (or use two trays). Put the cauliflower, tomatoes and garlic cloves (if using) on one side of the tray. Toss with a little olive oil, juice of 3/4 of a lemon, garlic powder (if using), oregano, salt and pepper.
  2. On the other side of the tray, lay down tofu in a single layer. Toss with the rest of the lemon juice and a little olive oil. In a small bowl, toss soy sauce and rice vinegar together. Poke holes in tofu with a toothpick. Pour "marinade" over tofu and toss. 
  3. Place in oven for 10 minutes. Toss everything around and flip the tofu. Bake for another 10 minutes or so, until cauliflower/tomatoes are tender and tofu is cooked and flavorful. 
  4. I served this with pan-fried Italian polenta but this would also be great with rice, quinoa, or steamed greens. Leftover tofu also makes AMAZING sandwiches with tomato, lettuce, and mustard. Just so you know.
*note: if you are using more tofu, double the amount of "marinade". 

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! :)