One thing I still get a craving for are the cajun fries from Cookout. They're spicy, sometimes garlicky, and all around damn delicious with ketchup. I set out to learn to make my own because:
A) Who wants to wait in that super long line that seems to never go away?
B) I'm pretty sure they don't have a separate GF fryer for these
C) I am 100% addicted to fries
You'll be amazing at how easy and tasty these are. And if you aren't making your own fries at home already, you're seriously missing out. I will also post a list of possible flavor combos, as well as oven fry links around the web.
Cajun Oven Fries
- Cajun seasoning (I use this)
- olive oil
- 1-2 large Russet potatoes, or a handful of small potatoes (however many you will eat!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel your potatoes after you wash them if desired. Cut into thin slices, coins, or fry-shapes, depending on your preference. The key is to make all of the slices the same thickness. I usually cut mine somewhere between 1/4"-1/2" thick.
- Grab a baking sheet. Line with parchment if desired. Place potatoes on sheet and about 1-2 tsp of oil. You want to make sure that at least each slice is coated lightly with oil. Sprinkle enough Cajun seasoning to coat the fries, about 1-2 tsp or more. Warning: most Cajun seasonings contain salt so do NOT salt your fries, unless you're a sodium fiend. Toss to combine the oil and seasonings with fries.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes. Stir and try a potato. They may be done at this point. If not, check them again in 5 minutes, until crisp on the outside and cooked/soft on the inside.
- Here's the key to good oven fries: As soon as they're out of the oven, toss them with more Cajun seasoning. This is the stuff that really sticks on the potato and gives it that spicy flavor. Don't overdo it though! Just try to split half of it between before the oven and after the oven
- Serve with ketchup (you betta) and enjoy!
Other favorite seasoning combos:
- dried rosemary, paprika, salt + olive oil
- cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt + olive oil
- thyme, salt + olive oil
- paprika, garlic powder, salt + olive oil
- curry powder, paprika, salt + olive oil
Oven fries around the web:
- ketchup baked fries//Plant-based on a budget
- zucchini fries//Budget Bytes
- black bean oven fry nachos//Oh she glows
- curried squash fries//Generation foodie
- curry spiced pomme frites//Sprouted Kitchen
- crispy cornmeal sweet potato fries//My new roots
- panko green bean fries//Happy healthy life