Tempeh. One of the things I like to include in "the vegan holy trinity" (i.e. tofu, tempeh, and beans). I have been eating tempeh since I was a kid, and never really knew what it was. But now I am cooking it more than ever! It costs about the same as tofu, but is quite different from tofu. So what is it?
Tempeh is made from cooked and slightly fermented soybeans. Unlike tofu, tempeh has a mild nutty flavor on its own that some people steam to get rid of before cooking. So what can you do with it? Pretty much anything. It's firmer than tofu, but absorbs flavors just as well. Chop it, shred it, dice it, bake it, fry it. There are so many wonderful ways to cook tempeh!
For any fellow gluten-free folks, fair warning: not every brand of tempeh is gluten-free. Be sure to read labels carefully. If it says "five-grain tempeh", it is most likely not GF due to barley or spelt. On average, 8 oz of tempeh racks up 48g of protein, so this is why I include it in my vegan holy trinity. I usually buy westsoy but soyboy is also great. Sometimes tempeh looks darker than other packages, but this is perfectly normal. It is not mold, that is just how tempeh looks sometimes.
So what do you do with this stuff?
1. Tempeh Chili Mac (Everyday Happy Herbivore)//2. BBQ Tempeh Kale Pizza (VV)
3. Tempeh Cacciatore (me!)//4. Buffalo Tempeh & Vegan Ranch Salad (PPK)
5. Sweet & Sour Tempeh (Everyday Happy Herbivore)//6. Buffalo Tempeh & Vegan Mozzarella Sandwiches (Vegan Yack Attack)
7. Smoky Tempeh & Peppers (Greens & Seeds)//8. Summer Tempeh Sandwich (TK)
9. Sriracha Tempeh & Green Beans (FoReals Life)//10. Orange Glazed Tempeh (101)
Hungry for more? Here are some saved recipes that I haven't tried:
- 10-minute brussels + tempeh stir-fry
- Potato + Tempeh Curry
- Tempeh + Broccoli Stir-Fried Noodles
- Tempeh Reuben Club Sandwiches
- Tempeh Chili Con Frijoles