Wednesday, August 22, 2012

(756) life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall

Well, I did it. I somehow made it to UNCG after two years of trying to get here. All I can say is that I'm proud of myself and oddly excited about this semester...though I know it's going to be tough.

super easy, spicy lentil vegetable tacos. this is my first try and cooking lentils and I undercooked them a bit, but they were still good. also, toothpicks really help them stay up in their shells!


also took a second stab at making soup. this time: summer minestrone soup. the curry powder really brings the whole soup together, and the red wine vinegar didn't hurt either. this is definitely a new favorite and just what I was looking for.

I almost royally screwed this bars by messing up my sugar ratios, having to re-make the crust, and over measuring the raspberry puree. I suggest you not rush and take your time with these (because they don't take long to make) and you'll be left with perfectly sweet pink lemonade bars. I subbed vegan earth balance, a mix of sorghum/tapioca flour, and xanthan gum.

first day of class calls for comfort food: chickpeas with spicy wilted greens. this recipe is almost memorized by now after making it so many times. it's so simple, hearty, delicious, and really spicy with garlic, red pepper flakes and garlic toast.

my new living basil plant. 


remember when I said hummus grilled cheese was the best? well I lied. roasted tomato + fried egg grilled cheese is now in first place. roasting the tomatoes for an hour and making them into a paste with garlic and basil was totally worth the extra effort. this was so garlicky, flavorful, and the cheese melted to perfection (which is almost unheard of for vegan cheese). I had enough tomato paste to yield at least three grilled cheeses, which is why I pictured my other (perfected) one below!

first day as a sophomore in college. kind of freaking out that this is actually happening.

this will consume 1/3 of my life for the next semester.


golden, gooey, eggy perfection. I definitely mastered it the third time around. I also got a new tablecloth for photos! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)