Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Get Well Soon Remedies

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or expert, by any means. All opinions expressed are completely my own.


It's the worst time of the year: allergy season. Since being GF, my frequency of being sick has decreased significantly, but that doesn't mean I'm totally free of sickness now and then! Although some of you may think I'm crazy, I stray away from over-the-counter medications and doctor visits, unless its really serious (obviously). I like to approach my ailments in a more "natural" manner. This is not for everyone, as many people are looking to make symptoms go away ASAP, which is all OTC meds can do. However, they don't "solve" the problem. This is one of many reasons that I take the holistic approach. I was raised this way too, so I've gathered a handful of remedies along the way (as well as a few new ones) which I'll share below!

  1. Plenty of fluids// This one may seem obvious, but a lot of people tend to ignore this when they get sick, especially if they're relying on meds. You need plenty of liquids anyways to function on a daily basis, so an even higher level is needed when sick. Water is obviously the best, but tea and ginger ale (with out HFCS) are also great. I'm also a big fan of raw pressed juice when I'm sick with ingredients like raw ginger, lemon, cayenne and garlic.
  2. Medicinal teas// This is the best way I've found to relieve cold symptoms. Just drink mug after mug of tea, and you will soon be feeling better. Traditional medicinals is my favorite brand of tea for wellness, and Gypsy Cold Care is my favorite. I love that the ingredients are 100% herbs, and it really shows! Yogi tea also makes some great, less expensive wellness teas. Want to make your own teas? This turmeric tea is easy and detoxifying, as well as this detox mint tea
  3. Neti pot// Have you heard of the Neti pot? I was honestly suspicious when I first heard about them, but now I swear by them. When sick, I do it once a day until my congestion clears up, which usually happens quickly. It's a little awkward at first, but it really does the trick!
  4. Medicinal Tablets/Drops// I have been taking echinacea drops when sick since I was a kid and they always work. Whenever I felt like something was coming on, I would take the recommended dosage (very small) mixed with water before bed, and I would feel much better the next day. I also like to take wellness tablets when I feel something coming on. These are what I call "preventative methods", which helps your chances of actually becoming sick even less.
  5. Rest// This is maybe one of the most important things I do, even when I'm working or going to school full time: rest. Your body needs it. Sometimes it may be easy to power through feeling crappy, but other times your body really needs a break. 
  6. Raw garlic/ginger// Yes, that's right. Raw garlic is packed with powerful anti-oxidants that prevent colds and can kill some strains of bacteria. If you're SUPER brave, mince a clove or two of raw garlic and eat it up. I've done this before and it's incredibly hard due to the insane pungency of raw garlic. Raw ginger also has similar properties and it's a little bit easier to eat. Other spicy foods with cayenne pepper or jalapenos can also be used to relieve allergy/cold symptoms. And don't forget citrus! Vitamin C is one of the best ways to kick a cold out.
  7. SOUP!// Okay this one is obvious, and obviously my favorite way. Here are my stand-by sick soup recipes: chunky celery soup with garlicky pestomiso soup, and Indian tomato soup. And now my recipe for my favorite soup while being sick!


Get Well Soon Miso Ramen
  • 1 package GF ramen (or regular ramen)
  • suggested amount of water
  • 2-3 cloves of raw garlic, minced or thinly sliced
  • 1 TBS raw ginger, peeled and minced
  • large handfuls of spinach or kale (optional)
  • sriracha or other hot Asian chile paste
  • 1-2 eggs fried or chopped silken tofu (for vegan)
  • Korean kimchi (optional)
  1. Prepare ramen according to package directions.
  2. When you stir in the flavor packet, add the garlic, ginger, and greens (if using).
  3. Fry your eggs or chop your tofu and spoon on top of ramen.
  4. Drizzle generously with sriracha and spoon on kimchi (if using). Enjoy and feel better!

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! :)