Friday, April 25, 2014

Les Bouchées Quotidiennes

We went to the beach last weekend, so I packed us some chicky tuna salad sandwiches from Isa Does It. These were so easy to make, filling and delicious! And they honestly did taste like tuna/chicken salad to me, although the base is made from chickpeas and sunflower seeds. I will definitely be making these again!

If you haven't been to Fiction Kitchen in Raleigh yet, you must go! This is the third time I've been there and it was incredible (as always)! I went with a lighter entree this time and I was not disappointed. I ordered these nori rolls with raw beets, ginger sauce, raw sesame kale salad and sashimi tofu. I could eat an entire plate of this tofu because it's sooo good. 

The Saint Forgot: Gin, St. Germain elderflower liqueur, Campari, fresh lemon, graepfruit and lavender bitters. This was certainly one of the best cocktails I've ever had. We also tried The Edison (fennel syrup, gin, lemon, orange, dry vermouth) and The Covington flip (Cruzan 9 spiced rum, sweet potato syrup, local egg, lemon, black walnut bitters). I've never had a flip before (usually made with raw pasteurized eggs) but it was incredible!

View from our condo!

I rarely get cravings for tomato soup, but this spicy chickpea tomato soup really hit the spot! The spices seem complex, but they really come together in the end for a wonderfully spiced soup. And it's easy enough to make on a weeknight! I served this with GF bread slathered with roasted garlic hummus, paprika and nutritional yeast.

The salad of the week was this chopped power salad with baked tofu and a miso-almond dressing. This made for a very satisfying and health dinner for a busy night! I loved the dressing, but I will probably double it next time. The baked tofu is also delicious, so don't skip out on it. I love eating red cabbage but I always have a hard time figuring out what to do with all of it!

Raw blueberry cheesecake from Whole Foods

While "rice and beans" is a traditionally Mexican dish, this Italian variation is possibly my new favorite way to eat rice and beans! It takes less than 30 minutes and the flavors are incredible. I added a few cloves of thinly sliced garlic for extra flavor, since there wasn't any included in the recipe. The lemon zest seems like an odd choice, but it adds so much flavor to the overall dish! I also used kale instead of spinach.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! :)