Wednesday, April 11, 2012

(611) goodbye junk, hello whole foods

made this delicious, colorful baby green tuna salad with a wonderful lemon dressing last night. I've been enjoying fish more and more lately instead of other meats.

one thing I've learned is to buy some things on instinct. this sunburst (also known as pattypan) squash really caught my eye & it's organic! we are still trying to find a way to cook it this weekend.

I was standing in the kitchen, ready to make these kale + quinoa cakes. I looked at the time and realized I didn't want to spend an hour and a half in the kitchen making these. so I adapted this recipe to what I had, what I felt like doing, and from Joy's original recipe. my mom also had a pot of spaghetti sauce simmering so I stole some of that too.




Tomato + Kale Quinoa (adapted from this)
---------------------------------------------------
-Rinse 1-1/2 C raw quinoa well in a fine mesh strainer. Add to a medium saucepan with 2-1/4 C water, and 1/2 tsp salt, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, decrease heat, and simmer 25-30 mins until quinoa is tender. Remove from heat. Toss in a handful of chopped, fresh parsley, some fresh lemon juice, and a small glug of olive oil. 
-Heat 1 T olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add 1/2 a yellow onion chopped and cook until translucent, 4 mins. Add 2 garlic cloves, minced, and saute 1 min more. Add as many leaves of lacinato kale as you like and stir until wilted. Add kale to the quinoa mixture and stir. Add as many red pepper flakes as you can handle and stir. 
-If you have any spaghetti sauce (with Italian herbs, garlic, onions, tomatoes), throw some into the quinoa mixture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)