Sunday, April 22, 2012

(622) cabin in the woods

my mom cooked a huge pot of black beans on Friday so last night I used some to make polenta rancheros, which was awesome! I really enjoyed using whole cumin seeds instead of cumin powder; the seeds, when toasted, are so much more flavorful. we have also pretty much sworn off of canned beans in my house (which makes me happy!..and my stomach!) so we've been buying them in bulk, soaking them, then cooking them. they taste so much better and are easier on my belly

I posted about these cookies yesterday, which turned out more like wafers, but are still awesome! I used it to make a fancy pantsy dessert: pineapple basil sorbet, champagne mango slices, pistachios and topped with a lemon cardamom cookie. it was so delicious, decadent, but at the same time I couldn't really feel bad since I was eating fruit, sorbet, nuts, and a vegan cookie. I really recommend it, especially since champagne mangoes are in their peak season. here's how I converted the cookie recipe:


-sub 1 C flour = 1/2 C sorghum flour + 1/2 C tapioca starch + 1 tsp xanthan gum
-sub 1/2 C butter = 1/2 C earth balance vegan sticks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)