One thing I find fascinating about the human body is how different each person's appetite is first thing in the morning. Some people can straggle through their morning on just coffee, or a doughnut, or nothing at all. Some people can't even eat until they've been awake for a few hours.
And then there's people like me. I am hungry as soon as I wake up. I will not function if I don't eat breakfast within my first hour of being awake. To me, breakfast is the most important meal of the day because with out it, my day will not go well.
But like most people, I don't really have mornings to make a fancy breakfast with a lot of ingredients or steps. This grit bowl is everything that breakfast should be: fast, easy, flavorful, gut-sticking and doused in hot sauce. Even though it only takes 5 minutes, it feels fancy because of how delicious it is!
5-Minute Cajun Grit Bowl
-2 TBS milk of choice (I used almond)
-salt + pepper
-non-stick spray (optional)
-1/4 - 1/2 C polenta corn grits (small vs. moderate portion)
-3/4 - 1.5 C water
-earth balance (or regular butter)
-cajun seasoning (or a mix of garlic powder, cayenne, paprika + salt)
-accompanying drink (tea, coffee, etc.)
1. First things first: put on the kettle for tea or start your coffee pot. This is crucial for your early morning sanity. Then go ahead and boil your water for grits in a small pot. For a smaller portion of grits, use 3/4 cup of water; 1.5 cups of water for a moderate portion.
2. While your water boils, spray a microwave-safe bowl with non-stick spray. Crack two eggs in the bowl, then add milk, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Feel free to add chopped green onions, chives, or even cheese. Mix together well, making sure to break the egg yolks.
3. Your water should be boiling by now. Add your grits (1/4 C for small portion; 1/2 C for moderate). Stir, simmer, and start a 5 minute timer.
4. Put your egg bowl in the microwave. Cook 30 seconds, stir, cook another 30 seconds, and stir again. If the eggs are close to being done, cook another 30 seconds. If it needs a little more time, cook 35 seconds. When done, remove from the microwave.
5. Once your grits are done, remove from the stove. Stir in a dollop of vegan butter and cajun seasoning to your liking. Pour into a bowl and top with your eggs (they will easily slide out of the bowl). Top with hot sauce (highly recommended), cheese, or even nutritional yeast. Eat with coffee, tea, or whatever you drink in the morning. Enjoy!