I ate mine for breakfast and it kept me full for hours. Something tells me this would be the perfect thing to whip up while battling a hangover (because it takes little effort). There are many variations you can do on this sandwich, which I will note below.
Smoky BBQ Tofu Sandwich
(adapted lightly from this)
- 1 package of extra-firm tofu
- BBQ sauce
- liquid smoke (optional)
- GF bread (or regular)
- hummus, any variety (I used kalamata olive) or sriracha veganeise*
- Earth balance, for grilling
- optional add-ins: pickled red onions, vegan cheese, olives, avocado, mustard
- Cut the tofu into 4 "patty" shapes (once lengthwise, then cut again to make 4). Press these patties for at least one hour: wrap tofu in paper towels or clean dish towels, put on a plate, top with another plate, and top with a couple of cans.
- When tofu is pressed, heat a grill pan/skillet on med-high. In a shallow dish, toss tofu with BBQ sauce, liquid smoke, salt and pepper to coat. Do not oil your pan. Place tofu directly on grill pan and cook, flipping once, until lightly charred and cooked on both sides.
- While the tofu is cooking, take two pieces of bread and spread hummus/veganeise on both sides liberally. Top with jalapenos and other toppings. When tofu is done, put one piece of tofu on each sandwich, and assemble the sandwich.
- Put earth balance on the top of your sandwich, enough to cover most of the bread. Place the sandwich buttered-bread-side down on the grill pan. Cook a few minutes, until golden brown and lightly grilled. Spread more earth balance on the top, flip your sandwich, and cook a few more minutes
- Remove to a plate and DEVOUR! Yields 4 sandwiches
*note: to make sriracha veganeise, put a few spoonfuls of vegan mayo in a bowl. mix with a few squirts of sriracha, garlic powder + pepper.