Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dill CLT Wraps

This week I am trying to challenge myself to cook from my pantry and farmer's market finds. More importantly, I am trying to challenge myself to create my own recipes, which I've never really done. Creating recipes seems scary and daunting to me, so I am starting off very slowly with little things I've made before and things I'm not afraid to experiment with.

Where's the best place to start? Lunch. This meal is so easy to work with because it doesn't have to be an extravagant meal with a lot of ingredients. Something simple can usually tide anyone over and make them happy. 

It's summertime, i.e. incredibly hot, so I like to eat cool vegetables and drink lots of water! This recipe comes together quickly and can easily be adapted to your liking. I got my tomatoes and cucumbers from the farmer's market, which made it even better!





Dill CLT Wraps (Cucumber-Lettuce-Tomato)
  • a few leaves of romaine lettuce
  • 1/2 tomato, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 small cucumber, sliced
  • 1-2 TBS hummus (I used kalamata olive)
  • 1-2 TBS veganeise * (see note)
  • paprika, garlic powder + pepper; a pinch each
  • 1 TBS fresh dill, minced
  • optional add-ins: pickled red onions, chickpeas for protein, squeeze of lemon, hemp seeds, toasted nuts, crumbled cashew cheese
  1. Put your lettuce on a plate or cutting board. Mix together the hummus, veganeise, paprika, pepper, and dill in a bowl. Add a squeeze of lemon if you like. Use more hummus for a more spread-like consistency, or more veganeise for a sauce-like consistency. I did about 1 1/2 TBS veganeise and 1 TBS hummus.
  2. Spread an even amount of this mixture on each piece of lettuce
  3. Add cucumbers and tomatoes on top of the spread
  4. Top with any additional add-ins
  5. Enjoy this simple and delicious snack!


note: I used to hate mayo when I wasn't GF or DF. Veganeise, however, is a great thing to have in your kitchen. You can quickly whip up a spread for a sandwich or wrap, or brighten up a simple summer snack like this. There is a link in the ingredient list for the kind I use, which is made with olive oil. Because this spread uses hummus and veganeise, there's no need for salt! If you totally hate any type of mayo or veganeise, just use all hummus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)