Monday, July 15, 2013

Garlicky Seared Summer Squash Pasta

We all need to change up our pasta every once in a while...so let's ditch the tomatoes and use fresh summer produce! I found some great local squash at a market on my street that received it from a local college's farm. How awesome is that? I also got two pounds for $2, so I was very pleased. 

Over the years, I have taught myself a few handy cooking techniques. Searing is a great method of cooking because it cooks it quickly, thoroughly, and it has a slightly "blackened" taste, which is always great. I used things I needed to use up in my fridge, so feel free to change things out or add other vegetables!


Garlicky Seared Summer Squash Pasta
  • 1 box of GF corn-quinoa pasta (or regular pasta)
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 medium or two small summer squash, cut into 1/2" chunks (any variety)
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced (or more!)
  • red pepper flakes
  • fresh basil
  • nutritional yeast or cheese

  1. Bring a pot of water to boil for your pasta. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add about 1 TBS of olive oil. Add onions, a pinch of salt, and cook until just translucent, about 5 minutes. 
  2. When water is boiling, add pasta and cook according to directions.
  3. Add squash to the skillet and turn up to medium-high heat. Add red pepper flakes and cook until cooked through and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Turn back down to medium heat. Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn it. Remove the pan from the stove.
  4. Drain your pasta. Toss in a big bowl with the seared squash and fresh basil.
  5. Top with nutritional yeast or cheese. Served with a big salad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)