Friday, July 26, 2013

Strawberry Lemonade Salad

I have finally gotten myself back into a regular salad routine! I find myself eating them for lunch most days of the week because I am (successfully) trying to ignore processed foods. Lucky for me, processed foods does as much damage as gluten/dairy/wheat to my stomach, so it's easy for me to avoid. Another way I easily avoid them is my stocking my fridge and pantry with healthy, fresh items. 

I like to keep organic romaine lettuce, a big bag of organic carrots, and the occasional celery or fruit to throw in. Having a variety of nuts and seeds also adds a nice crunch to your salad. Today I wanted to try something different. I had half of an avocado in my fridge, some strawberries, and the usual carrots/lettuce. I stumbled across this post which more or less inspired this salad. I was too lazy to make the dressing, so I created my own. This salad is lemony, bright, and refreshing! Just adjust the amount of ingredients to your liking/how many you are serving.



Strawberry Lemonade Salad
(adapted lightly from this)

  • romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 2 carrots, cut into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
  • half of an avocado, diced
  • 4-5 strawberries, hulled and halved
  • a handful of almonds/sunflower seeds, toasted 
  • juice of 1 lemon or less (I used about 3/4 of a whole lemon)
  • splash of olive oil
  • a few glugs of raspberry/strawberry vinegar (balsamic or white balsamic works too)
  • optional add-ins: feta, goat cheese, pickled red onions

  1. Toss lettuce, carrots, avocado, nuts, and strawberries together. 
  2. Squeeze lemon juice over the salad. Add olive oil, vinegar and any other add-ins.
  3. Toss and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)